The People's Guide

36th Edition 2015

Issue link:

Contents of this Issue


Page 61 of 71

The People's Guide 2015 62 If you have questions about immigration or benefits for immigrants, or the government has treated you differently just because you don't speak English, or of the way you look or because you are from a particular country, please call one of the agencies listed on page 65 ("Help with Immigration"). Deferred Action 1. Child Arrivals Effective June 15, 2012, certain young people who were brought to the United States as young children, do not present a risk to national security or public safety, and meet several key criteria will be considered for relief from removal from the country or from entering into removal proceedings. Those who demonstrate that they meet the criteria will be eligible to receive deferred action for a period of two years, subject to renewal, and will be eligible to apply for work authorization. You are possibly eligible for deferred ac- tion if you: 1. Came to the United States under the age of sixteen; 2. Have continuously resided in the United States since January 1, 2010, and were present in the United States on June 15, 2012; 3. Are currently in school, have graduated from high school, have obtained a GED certificate, or are an honorably discharged veteran of the Coast Guard or Armed Forces of the United States; 4. Have not been convicted of a felony offense, a significant misdemeanor of- fense, multiple misdemeanor offenses, or otherwise pose a threat to national security or public safety; 5. In November 2014, the upper age limit for this deferred action was removed by the President's executive order. Only those individuals who can prove through verifiable documentation that they meet these criteria will be eligible for deferred action. For more information visit: USCIS' hotline 1-800-375-5283 ICE's hotline 1-888-351-4024 2.Undocumented Parents Undocumented parents of U.S. citizens or legal permanent residents who have been in the U.S. for more than 5 years can request temporary relief from removal of the country, and work authorization for three years at a time. They must register with authorities, pass a background check, submit fingerprints, pay fees, and show that their child was born before November 20, 2014. This measure was announced by the President on that date. Please consult immigration groups listed on page 65 for more information. Certain government programs are not avail- able to all low income immigrants who are lawfully present in the U.S. However, even if you are undocumented, you can apply for CalFresh ( Food Stamps) or CalWORKs for other family members who may be eligible (like for your children born in the U.S.-they are U.S. citizens). If you are an immigrant who has become a U.S. citizen through naturalization, you must be treated the same as other U.S. citizens when you apply for benefits. Anyone, Even if Undocumented, Can Apply for These Programs: • Prenatal Care • Emergency Medi-Cal • Minor Consent Medi-Cal • Regional Centers • California Children's Services • CHDP and CHDP Gateway • Immunizations for kids • WIC • School Breakfast & Lunch • Summer Food • Health Care in some Counties • Public Education • Help from Food Pantries • Help from Shelters • Services from Many Non-Profit Agencies These programs don't have immigration re- quirements and if you are undocumented, you may still qualify. If anyone asks you about your immigration status, be careful. You do not need to tell anyone that you or anyone else who lives with you is undocu- mented. Your workers do not need to ask about your immigration status if you are not getting benefits for yourself. If they do ask you, simply tell them that you are a "not qualified" immigrant ("not qualified" is not the same as undocumented). That is all they need to know. If a school or child care center requests your social security number on a form, you can write "none" on the form or leave it blank. They may not give the information on that form to a government agency. Benefits for Victims of Trafficking, Domes- tic Violence, and Other Serious Crimes California law provides eligible non-citizens who are victims of trafficking, domestic violence and other serious crimes access to benefits equal to those available for refugees. • Victims of trafficking may qualify for up to one year before they are certified by the federal government as victims or obtain T status. • Victims of domestic violence and other serious crimes may qualify once they have applied for U status. • You do not need a social security num- ber to apply. Interpreter Help If you speak limited English and you need to apply for benefits such as CalWORKs, Medi-Cal, GR, CAPI or CalFresh, you have the right to ask for an interpreter free of charge. The Department of Public Social Services (DPSS), the Department of Health Services (DHS), and the Social Security Administration must provide you with a worker who speaks your language or con- nect you to a telephone interpreter service, at no cost to you. You may also have the right to have written materials translated for you, or if the materials are in English, you have the right to have the information explained to you in your language. DPSS now assigns a supervisor in every office to serve as the District Immigrant Liaison. You should call the District Im- migrant Liaison if: • you are denied assistance because you are not a citizen, even though you are eligible • you do not receive a free interpreter or bilingual caseworker • there is a delay or any other problem because you speak limited English • Ask for the District Immigrant Liaison at the nearest welfare office, in person or by telephone (see pg. 70). Guide for Non-Citizens Can Immigrants Get Benefits? Non-Citizens

Articles in this issue

Links on this page

Archives of this issue

view archives of The People's Guide - 36th Edition 2015