The People's Guide

36th Edition 2015

Issue link:

Contents of this Issue


Page 56 of 71

57 The People's Guide 2015 Where Can I Get Help if I'm Homeless? Unfortunately, if you are homeless in Los Angeles, there is no guarantee of housing or shelter, and the existing shelters are often full. The LA County Housing Resource Center can assist residents in locating housing resources for affordable, special needs, and emergency housing. To access their rental listings and assistance visit www.housing. or call (877) 428-8844. We list the resources below as a guide to trying to get help. 1. Finding an Agency to Help You If you become homeless in LA County, there are agencies that can help you find assistance: Valley Area- LA Family Housing 818-982- 4092 ext Pasadena and San Gabriel Valley- Union Station Homeless Services 626-791-6601 Hollywood – The Center at Blessed Sacra- ment 740-504-6499 D o w n t o w n – L a m p C o m m u n i t y 213.488.9559 x 114 Westside – Westside Shelter & Hunger Coalition 602-904-2000 or 310-314-0071 South LA – Special Services for Groups –HOPICS 323-948-0444 ext 140 Southeast Cities (Bell, Downey) – Our Place Housing Solutions 562-416-3273 Long Beach and South Bay - South Bay Coalition for the Homeless (St. Peter's Presby/RPV) 310-480-2866 wilcox_nancy@sbcglobal. net Housing Families seeking assistance can contact Family Solutions System by calling: 211 LA County (2-1-1). FSS can help families find financial assistance for rapid rehousing, including a security deposit for an apartment; partial rent for three months or a motel voucher and utilities, etc. 2. Shelters In the Hospital: It is illegal for the hospital to drop you off in the street after your treatment if you are homeless. The hospital discharge staff must work with you to find a safe place to go. Ask to speak to a social worker prior to your discharge. Families: If you are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless and receive or qualify for CalWORKs, you may be able to receive Homeless Assistance Money, money to help prevent eviction, or help with your rent. CalWORKs also offers a 12 month Rental Subsidy for CalWORKs and non-CalWORKs families. See CalWORKs section of the Guide for more information (pg.12-13). Singles: If you are applying for General Re- lief, you can get emergency shelter vouchers or eviction prevention money. See General Relief section of the Guide for more infor- mation (pg. 27). Emergency Shelter: There are over 300 pri- vately run agencies in Los Angeles offering shelter, so we cannot list them all here. The following numbers and website are helpful: • Year Round and Winter Shelters : (800) 548-6047 for shelter locations and pick-up points. These shelters are usually operated by the City and county of Los Angeles from the beginning of November until the end of March. Some of the shelters now operate all year long. • InfoLine: Call (211) or (800) 339-6993 • Internet: lists shel- ters and other resources by zip code for all L.A. County. • Some agencies and shelters are able to offer hotel or motel vouchers if there is no other shelter option available, or if the shelter is full for the night. • The conditions at shelters vary widely. They can generally make their own rules about who can stay and how long they can stay. At the shelters which are funded by the government, such as the Winter Shelters, there has to be a written grievance procedure you can go through if you feel you have been treated unfairly, or that conditions are not safe or healthy there. You can file these grievances with: Los Angeles Homeless Services Authority (LAHSA) 811 Wilshire Blvd, 6th Floor, LA 90017. 3. Access Centers Acess Centers are also called Drop-in Cen- ters. These agencies can refer you to shelters. They may also help you find transitional or permanent housing. Some of these agencies operate shelters or other housing programs. Antelope Valley Lancaster Access Center (661) 942-2758 Downtown L.A. Weingart Center's Hope Row Resource Center 501 E 6th St LA 90021(213) 689-2114 Downtown Women's Day Center 325 S. Los Angeles (213) 680-0600 VOA Drop-In Center 628 S. San Julian (213) 624-4663 El Monte ACHIEVE (626)444-79000 Hollywood and Mid City PATH 340 N.Madison Ave (323) 644-2216 Pomona Pomona Access to Social Services 502 W. Holt (909)622-3806 San Pedro FISH 670 W. 9th St. (310) 831-0603 Long Beach New Image (562) 983-7289 Pasadena Union Station Foundation (626) 240-4550 San Fernando Valley- N. Hollywood LA Family Housing 7843 Lankershim (818) 982-4091 Santa Monica and West Side OPCC 1616 7th St. (310) 264-6646 St. Joseph's Service Center 204 Hampton Dr. (310) 396-6468 South Central L.A. WLCAC 958 E. 108th St. (323) 563-5654 HOP South Central Drop In 5715 S. Broadway (213) 553-1823 West Covina VOA West Covina Access Center 415 S. Glendora Ave (626)918-2005 by referral only Housing

Articles in this issue

Links on this page

Archives of this issue

view archives of The People's Guide - 36th Edition 2015