The People's Guide

35th Edition 2013-2014

Issue link:

Contents of this Issue


Page 56 of 71

57 The People's Guide 2013-2014 enough project based housing for everyone who needs it, so many of the complexes have wait lists. We have listed three of the most common programs below. For more information about what type(s) of programs you may qualify for, you can ask a caseworker at one of the Access Centers. Conventional Public Housing Conventional public housing is one of the most well-known federal housing programs. The buildings that are part of this program are owned and operated by local Public Housing Authorities. These are often very large build- ings or complexes and the people who work at them are government employees. Rent is usually between 30-40% of the household's income. To apply for conventional public housing, you should contact the housing complex directly. Project-Based Section 8 For project-based Section 8, private land- lords have agreed to reserve certain units for Section 8. Project-based Section 8 means that you must live in one of these assigned units to get the benefit. Unlike conventional public housing, your landlord is a private owner, not a Housing Authority. Shelter Plus Care Shelter Plus Care provides affordable hous- ing and supportive services. You are required to participate in the supportive services to be part of this program. You may be eligible for this program if you are: - Homeless, - Have a mental illness and/or AIDS, and - Have a substance abuse problem. 2. Voucher-Based Programs Section 8 Vouchers The most well-known voucher-based program is Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher. Section 8 vouchers are offered by the local govern- ment (the Housing Authority). They allow you to stay in any apartment or house where the landlord will accept them. You pay a limited portion of the rent (usually between 30-40% of your income). The Housing Authority pays the rest directly to your landlord. Housing • Internet: lists shel- ters and other resources by zip code for all L.A. County. • Some agencies and shelters are able to offer hotel or motel vouchers if there is no other shelter option available, or if the shelter is full for the night. • The conditions at shelters vary widely. They can generally make their own rules about who can stay and how long they can stay. At the shelters which are funded by the government, such as the Winter Shelters, there has to be a written grievance procedure you can go through if you feel you have been treated unfairly, or that conditions are not safe or healthy there. You can file these grievances with: Los Angeles Homeless Services Authority (LAHSA) 453 S. Spring St, 12th Floor, L.A., 90013. 3. Access Centers Access Centers are also called Drop-in Cen- ters. These agencies can refer you to shelters. They may also help you find transitional or permanent housing. Some of these agencies operate shelters or other housing programs, but not all. Antelope Valley Lancaster Access Center (661) 942-2758 Downtown L.A. Weingart Access Center 506 S. Main (213) 689-2114 Downtown Women's Day Center 325 S. Los Angeles (213) 680-0600 VOA Drop-In Center 628 S. San Julian (213) 624-4663 El Monte ACHIEVE (213)446-7167 Hollywood and Mid City PATH 340 N.Madison Ave (323) 644-2216 Pomona Pomona Access to Social Services 502 W. Holt (909)622-3806 San Pedro FISH 670 W. 9th St. (310) 831-0603 Long Beach New Image (562) 983-7289 Pasadena Union Station Foundation (626) 240-4550 San Fernando Valley- N. Hollywood LA Family Housing 7843 Lankershim (818) 982-4091 Santa Monica and West Side OPCC 1616 7th St. (310) 264-6646 St. Joseph's Service Center 204 Hampton Dr. (310) 396-6468 South Central L.A. WLCAC 958 E. 108th St. (323) 563-5654 Bridges of Hope 5701 S.San Pedro St. (323)232-7956 HOP South Central Drop In 5715 S. Broadway (213) 553-1823 West Covina One Stop 415 S. Glendora Ave (626)918-1205 4. Housing for Health The newly created Housing for Health (HFH) Division at the Department of Health Services (DHS) is focused on creating housing op- portunities for homeless patients and clients. This program can be accessed by homeless individuals and families who receive care at a DHS hospital, Multi-Ambulatory Care Center, or at one of the directly operated outpatient health clinics. If you receive your medical care at a DHS operated facility, tell them you are homeless and discuss eligibil- ity requirements with the social work staff during your next visit. HFH applications can only be submitted through designated staff at a DHS facility AFFORDABLE HOUSING The federal government has a few subsidized housing programs. Each of these programs has various income and resource require- ments and require you to provide information regarding your family income and makeup. It is important to document all your attempts to comply with the program requirements because you can be terminated from the program if you do not comply. In general, there are two types of programs: project-based and voucher-based. Project- based programs are ones where the hous- ing benefit is connected to a specific unit. Voucher-based programs are ones where the housing benefit is connected to a specific household. 1. Project-Based Programs There are many types of project-based subsidized housing. Many of these projects advertise their availability and you can ap- ply directly at the building or at a leasing office. Most of the time, the best way to get into this kind of housing is to go through special programs offered by community agencies that will help you get into housing when you finish the program. There is not

Articles in this issue

Links on this page

Archives of this issue

view archives of The People's Guide - 35th Edition 2013-2014