The People's Guide

35th Edition 2013-2014

Issue link:

Contents of this Issue


Page 54 of 71

55 The People's Guide 2013-2014 The Los Angeles Department of Water and Power (LADWP) offers a residential Low Income Discount Program (LIDP) rate for customers within qualifying income levels. This rate reduces the cost of electricity, water, and sewer services for the partici- pants' permanent, primary residence. The rates are generally available for families and individuals with annual incomes below the following levels: Members Annual in Household Income 1-2 $ 31,800 3 $ 37,400 4 $ 45,100 5 $ 52,800 6 $ 60,500 Each add'l add $ 7,700 Lifeline Discount Program applies a discount to the energy bills of income- qualified customers who are 62 years of age or older, or permanently disabled and can provide proof of disability. For ques- tions call (213) 481-5411 Life Support Device Discount: Discounts on water and electric service are offered to customers who provide satisfactory proof that a member of the household regularly requires the use of an essential life-support device. Physician Certified Allowance Discount: Discounts on water and electric bills are available to customers who provide verifi- cation by a state-licensed physician that a fulltime member of the household is being treated for certain life threatening illnesses. or has a compromised immune system and needs an additional heating and/or cooling allowance Call 1-800-DIAL DWP (342-5397) Customers with a Teletype device hookup (TTY) may call LADWP at 1-800-HEAR- DWP (or 1-800-432-7397) to receive as- sistance regarding water or electric service. For a listing of other agencies that provide information and referral services to cus- tomers in need, contact 211 LA County (previously Info Line) at 1-800-339-6993 LOW INCOME REFRIGERATOR ECHANGE PROGRAM The LA Department of Water and Power offers certain customers the opportunity to replace their old, inefficient refrigerators with a new energy saving model. • The customer must be a current partici- pant in the LADWP residential Low Income Discount Rate • The customer's refrigerator must be at least 10 years old and be at least 14.0 cubic feet in volume. • The outlet to which the refrigerator is connected must be grounded (3-prong) • The customer must be willing to give up (exchange) their old refrigerator to be environmentally recycled Call the Appliance Recycling Centers of America (ARCA) at (800) 722-9340 to set up an inspection appointment. A rep- resentative will contact you to schedule an appointment to verify that your refrigerator outlet is properly grounded. If it is not properly grounded, you will be given time to correct the situation in order to qualify for the energy efficient refrigerator. SPECIAL PHONE PROGRAM FOR THE DISABLED The California Telephone Assistance Proj- ect provides special equipment you can get if you are hard of hearing or have another disability that makes it difficult for you to use a telephone. Call English TTY line (800) 806-4474 or Voice: (800) 806-1191 UTILITY BILL ASSISTANCE If you are applying for CalWORKs, you may be able to get "immediate need" money to pay for your delinquent utility bills. (See CalWORKs" Immediate Need" pg. 6) If you are low-income and have overdue gas or electric bills, call: Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP) (866) 675-6623 PACE Environmental Services: (213) 989-3246 Catholic Charities (213) 251-3400 Energy HotLine (800) 342-5397 Energy Crisis Line (213) 353-1228 Labor Community Services (213) 427-9044 Legal Aid (utility cutoffs) (213) 640-3881 Maravilla (323) 989-3215 So Cal Edison Low Income (800) 736-4777 Utility Tax Unit (senior discount) (213) 978-3050 West Angeles Center (323) 733-8300 If you are unable to pay your bill by its due date, contact LADWP before the bill becomes overdue. They will work with you in setting up a payment plan. If you visit one of their customer service centers and pay half of your bill, you will receive a two-week extension. You can also arrange to pay in installments. Call the LADWP Special Collections Unit at 1-800-244-4458 before the bill is due to make payment arrangements. If you have a notice of termination from the Department of Water and Power (DWP), call1-800-DIAL DWP (342-5397) and ask about Project Angel Fund. Priority is given to those not eligible for other aid or assistance. If you do not receive your water service from DWP, call your own water district and ask them if they provide any assistance for low-income customers. Utilities and Phone Utilities you should see health care providers that take both Medicare and Medi-Cal to avoid being charged any cost sharing amounts. If possible, show your insurance cards before you receive services. You should also know the following: • Always carry your Medicare card with you • Contact the Social Security office im- mediately if you lose your card or don't get one • Appeal any incorrect or unfair deci¬sion about your Medi-Cal benefits (see page 66 "Hearings and Com-plaints") For help with Medicare call Center for Health Care Rights (800) 824-0780 Outside Los Angeles County (800) 434-0222.

Articles in this issue

Archives of this issue

view archives of The People's Guide - 35th Edition 2013-2014