The People's Guide

35th Edition 2013-2014

Issue link:

Contents of this Issue


Page 52 of 71

53 The People's Guide 2013-2014 Health Care in the community, including "EPSDT" supplemental services for children on Medi-Cal. If you do not have Medi-Cal or other health insurance, you can receive mental health services from County Mental Health. You are charged a fee based on a sliding scale, depending on your ability to pay. Therapists can request that the fee be waived if the fee will cause stress and hardship. DEVELOPMENTAL SERVICES Children and adults who are developmen- tally disabled due to Down's Syndrome cerebral palsy, epilepsy, autism, have other qualifying conditions, s, or who are high- risk children up to age 3, may qualify for services through Regional Centers. California residents who are undocumented may be eligible. To apply call one of the listed Regional Centers and ask for "In- take." If you are found not eligible for these services, they must explain why. East L.A. (626) 299-4700 Harbor (Torrance) (310) 540-1711 Mid-Wilshire area (213) 383-1300 Sepulveda (818) 778-1900 San Gabriel/Pomona (800) 822-7504 South Central L.A. (213) 734-1884 Culver City (310) 258-4000 SUBSTANCE ABUSE TREATMENT There are several hundred alcohol and drug treatment programs all over LA County, offering both outpatient and residential treatment. To find a program close to you, call 1-800-564-6600. You will reach a local Community Assessment Service Center (CASC) for an appointment to find the right treatment program. If this is an emergency, please call 911. Many alcohol and drug treatment programs are full, so you may be put on a waiting list. Program costs vary. Homeless Health Care (213) 744-0724 provides treatment services for homeless persons. SERVICES FOR SENIORS AND THE DISABLED 1. In-Home Supportive Services (IHSS) The In-Home Supportive Services Program (IHSS) helps pay for services to eligible persons to enable them to stay in their own homes. To be eligible you must qualify for Medi-Cal or SSi, be blind, disabled, or over 65, and need these services so you can remain safely in your home. IHSS is an alternative to out-of-home care such as nursing homes or board and care facilities. Services which can be authorized include personal care, meal preparation, laundry, grocery shopping, housecleaning, trans- portation to medical appointments and protective supervision for the mentally impaired. Services may sometimes be provided by a spouse or by the parent of a minor, with significant restrictions. You may qualify for IHSS if you live at home and need the services to remain there, and one of the following applies: You receive SSI or CAPI, even if you are working You do not receive SSI but meet the SSI medical requirements, except for income or immigration status. You do not receive SSI but meet the dis- ability or age requirements of the SSI program. Someone now in an institution may also qualify if he or she could safely live at home if IHSS services were provided. You must also have limited income and resources ($2000 for one person and $3000 for a couple, not counting your home or an automobile used for work or medical appointments). If your income is too high to meet the SSI requirements, you may still qualify for IHSS but will have to pay a "Share of Cost". Some IHSS recipients in certain Medi-Cal programs will have no Share of Cost based on income and allowable deductions If you do not currently receive SSI or Medi-Cal, your application for IHSS will be forwarded to Medi-Cal to evaluate for Medi-Cal eligibility. IHSS applications are taken by telephone. You, or someone calling for you, may ap- ply be calling toll free from anywhere in L.A. County at (888) 944-4477. A social worker will make an appointment to come to your home to see if you are eligible and determine what services IHSS can provide you. Within 30 days, you should receive a notice telling you if you qualify and stating the tasks and the number of hours approved. It will take longer if you have to get Medi-Cal approved first. Be sure to tell the worker about any special problems or personal needs you may have so that you get enough help. If you are approved for IHSS, you hire someone to perform the services. You are considered that person's employer. You have to hire, train, supervise and if necessary, fire this person (called the IHSS provider). IHSS providers must receive at least $9 per hour . The state issues the checks for provider payments. You and your provider must complete, sign, date, and mail in the time sheets that they send you, to verify that the work was done. Severely impaired persons may be eligible for an advance payment to pay a provider. Ask the worker doing the assessment. For help with problems or questions, or for information on how to start an appeal about the number of hours approved for the IHSS worker, call the IHSS Ombudsman at (888) 678-4477. 2. Long Term Care If you are caring for someone that a doc- tor has recommended for 24-hour care by skilled nurses for a long period of time, call the Long Term Care District at (626) 854-4987. The State Central Registry at (800) 451- 2273 will give you three referrals to long term care facilities. There is a difference between board and care facilities and nursing facilities. Medi- Cal will pay for long term care in a nursing facility but not in a board and care home. Before you send someone to any kind of long term care facility, you should visit the places and inspect them thoroughly. If you are not happy with the referrals you can call again for more

Articles in this issue

Links on this page

Archives of this issue

view archives of The People's Guide - 35th Edition 2013-2014