The People's Guide

35th Edition 2013-2014

Issue link:

Contents of this Issue


Page 30 of 71

31 The People's Guide 2013-2014 Transportation BUS PASES AND TAXI VOUCHERS All Los Angeles County transit operators, including MTA, DASH, Foothill, Antelope Valley, and all the city bus lines, honor a "disabled identification card". 1. How to Apply Call (213)680-0054. There are over 20 transit offices where the ID card applica- tions may be obtained. The completed application must be returned in person to any of these offices. . All applicants must pay a non-refundable $2 application fee and bring a current 1" by 11/4" full face photo (no hats, sunglasses or bandannas. ) To qualify you must show any one of the following: • Medicare ID card (NOT Medi-Cal) • California DMV disabled or disabled veteran placard certificate with a current "valid through" date • Proof of receiving either SSI or SSDI from the Social Security Administra- tion • A certification on school letterhead signed by a Special Education teacher that the applicant is a Special Educa- tion student in any LA County school • Part III of the application form, which is a one-page certification signed by a health care professional. Replacement of lost or stolen cards requires a $5.00 fee and another photo. ID cards will be mailed within 10 business days after verification. 2. Other Transportation Help Transportation assistance for CalWORKS participants (see page 9) Department of Rehabilitation (for disabled persons: see page 13 Jobs) Bus Tokens: East LA Service Center (323) 260-2808 People Coord. Svs. (323) 735-1231 Weingart Access Ctr (213) 289-5020 Help for Stranded or Runaways to Get Home: Home Free Program (800) 621-4000 St. Vincent (323) 224-6280 See General Relief for more information. Bicycle help- see page 30 Air Travel Assistance for Patients Needing Medical Aid: Angel's Flight (888) 426-2643 3. CityRide and paratransit Most cities in LA County offer subsidized transportation for seniors or people with disabilities. Los Angeles CityRide: (213) 808-RIDE (323) or (818) or (310) (808-7433) For seniors 65+ or disabled. CityRide provides a book of coupons worth $72, every three months. The cost is $15 ($6 if you are receiving Medi-Cal or SSI). The script can be used to buy bus pass, taxi rides, or to partly pay for dial-a-ride service for medical appointments. ACCESS (800) 827-0829 Shared ride ser- vice offering disabled persons curb-to-curb rides within 3/4 mile of most LA County bus or rail routes, using buses, mini-vans and taxis. Fares are distance-based and range from $1.80 to $2.70 for each one- way trip. Call to apply. Dial-a-Ride (800) 439-0439 Shared rides for seniors 60+ and disabled in certain parts of the county. Costs vary but as low as 25 or 50 cents in some areas. Call to apply. Charter Bus Program Assists seniors, youth, and disabled groups in the City of Los Angeles with free or subsidized charter bus services to attend educational, recre- ational, or cultural events in the region. To apply visit: HELP FOR DRIVERS 1. Low Cost Car Insurance Low income drivers in Los Angeles County can purchase special auto insurance for $347 a year. Call (800) 622-0954 to find the agent nearest you from the California Automobile Assigned Risk Plan (CAARP.) You must verify your income with tax re- turns and also show a valid driver's license, current vehicle registration, and proof of ownership of vehicle. To be eligible • you must live in LA County • you must be at least 19 years old and have been driving for at least 3 years Transportation without losing your license • the car insured must be worth less than $20,000; and your household must have a yearly income below: # in household Annual Income 1 $27,925 2 $37,825 3 $47,725 4 $57,625 5 $67,525 6 $77,425 7 $87,325 8 $97,225 Also, in the last 3 years you cannot have: • Been responsible for an accident involv- ing bodily injury or death • Had more than one property damage accident in which you were at fault • More than one point for a moving violation • You also cannot be a college student claimed as a dependent on someone else's taxes. Per household only two low cost policies are allowed. A "household" includes all related persons living under one roof. Unrelated individuals living in the same house are each considered to be their own household. The liability limits are $10,000 bodily injury or death per person, $20,000 bodily injury for each accident and $3,000 prop- erty damage for each accident. You can add $1,000 Medical Payments for your Injuries for $37 a year and/or $10,000 per person/$20,000 per accident to protect you and your passengers from bodily injury by an Uninsured Motorist for $67 a year. There is no physical damage or theft coverage for your car. 2. Help With Smog Check The State's Consumer Assistance Program (CAP) provides financial assistance for low income consumers whose vehicles don't pass smog check. If you qualify they can help pay for repairs that will allow your car to pass. You must pay a copayment. The program is limited to available funds. Don't do any repairs until you are notified that you've been approved. For information and to apply call Dept. of Consumer Affairs (800) 952-5210 Or visit:

Articles in this issue

Links on this page

Archives of this issue

view archives of The People's Guide - 35th Edition 2013-2014