The People's Guide

35th Edition 2013-2014

Issue link:

Contents of this Issue


Page 13 of 71

The People's Guide 2013-2014 14 Job and Career Training If you receive CalWORKs or General Relief, LA LINK can help you increase your income. LA LINK is a network of professionals who are ready to help you find a career that matches you. To learn more about LA LINK, visit: www.ladpss. org/dpss/lalink Hundreds of organizations in LA County offer help in job training. Beware of pri- vate employment agencies that charge you fees for finding a job. Many give low quality training at high tuition, and encourage you to pay the tuition with expensive student loans that can ruin your credit. Use free or low cost services instead. payment for move-in costs like deposits, last month's rent, truck rental, and a stove and/or refrigerator if the new place doesn't have one. Like Homeless Assistance, you must find a place where your family's share of the rent is not more than 80% of the Total Monthly Household Income. Timed-out families can also get two months of the adult portion of the reduced grant (included within the $2,000). 5. 4-Month Rental Assistance (RA) Program If you just found a permanent place to live with the help of Homeless Assistance or Moving Assistance, RA can help you get up to $300 per month (based on family size) for four consecutive months to help pay your rent. RA is for families who cannot get subsidized housing (e.g., a Section 8 vouchers). The payments are made out to the landlord. RA also gives you help on how to budget your aid to keep your new home and not become homeless again. To qualify you must be eligible for Per- manent Move-In Money from Homeless Assistance and/or Moving Assistance and have a signed rental agreement securing non-subsidized permanent housing within the past 30 days of the time you request RA: or you found non-subsidized permanent housing and have requested Permanent Housing/Moving Assistance. To be eligible, you must: • Be CalWORKs approved and working full-time or enrolled and actively participating in GAIN; or • Be timed out from CalWORKs and enrolled and actively participating in GAIN Post-Time Limit Services 6. Emergency Shelter & Services (ESS) LAHSA provides emergency shelter (up to 120 days) to homeless CalWORKs families where the parent is aided or time-limited and either employed, enrolled in GAIN, receiving "good cause" not to participate in GAIN due to homelessness or participat- ing in Post-Time Limited (PTL) Services. Emergency Shelter Services: • Hotel/motel vouchers to homeless Cal- WORKs families through subcontracted service providers. • Issues bus tokens or transports families to emergency housing facilities, based on the families' needs and availability of transportation through subcontractors. • To the extent resources are available, for CalWORKs families that are not eli- gible to any of DPSS' homeless services or have exhausted homeless assistance, LAHSA issues emergency shelter/hotel/ motel vouchers and issues bus tokens or transports families to emergency shelter facilities, based on the families' needs and availability of transportation. 1. Workforce Investment Boards Workforce Investment Board (WIB) of- fices use government money to help you with job training and placement. Local WIB offices, also called One-Stop Work- Source Centers, are located at different places across the city and provide com- puters, faxes, copiers, and job listings to help you look for work. The law requires that they also provide you with career counseling, money for transportation and childcare, as well as possibly paying for quality job training that leads to a job. Call Legal Aid (see "Good Advice", pg. 68) if you have any troubles getting these services. City-wide: (800) 367-2562 County-wide: (213) 738-2598 2. Community Colleges Community colleges offer an opportunity to anyone who wants to obtain a career or transfer to a 4 year university. Cerritos 11110 Alondra Blvd., 90650 562-860-2451 Compton- 1111 E. Artesia Blvd,90221 310-900-1600 El Camino- 16007 Crenshaw Blvd 310-532-3670 Glendale- 1500 N. Verdugo Rd, 91208 818-551-5111 Long Beach- 4901 E. Carson St. 562-938-4111 Los Angeles (9 districts) 770 Wilshire Blvd 213-891-2000 Mt. San Antonio-1100 N. Grand Ave, 909-468-3990 Pasadena- 1570 E. Colorado Blvd. 626-585-7123 Job Training

Articles in this issue

Links on this page

Archives of this issue

view archives of The People's Guide - 35th Edition 2013-2014